Battersea Park Children’s Zoo
Position: Animal Keeper (Full-time / Permanent)
Salary:(dependent on experience)
Battersea Park Children’s Zoo is a well-established and expanding family run business and is one of three BIAZA accredited zoos within our company. We strive for the highest standards in animal husbandry, conservation and education.
Our mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats through engagement and interaction with our visitors particularly young children.
Battersea Park Children’s Zoo promotes and champions the smaller child-friendly species within the beautiful and historic setting of Battersea Park. We endeavor to inspire young people to become interested in the natural world.
Overview of Role:
We are seeking an Animal Keeper to work with a wide range of species within our Zoo.
The successful candidate will be expected to maintain our high standards of animal welfare and husbandry, to carry out daily checks and keep up to date animal records.
Working hours are 40hrs per week on roster basis (including regular weekends and Bank Holidays).
A flexible approach to hours is crucial.
This role is physically demanding and mainly outdoors therefore the keeper has to be able to work in all prevailing weather conditions.
Applicants must have a passion for working with a variety of animals in captivity. Any experience with primates and small exotic species is an advantage. Good communication skills and experience of interfacing with our visitors are important. The successful candidate will be able to work comfortably within a team or independently.
A minimum requirement of one year’s paid employment within a zoological or animal related position; previous volunteering or internship experience will be considered.
• Assisting, as instructed, with cleaning of all areas within the zoo.
• Assisting, as instructed, with enclosure/paddock servicing.
• Assisting, under instruction, with the preparation of vet approved diets.
• Assisting, under instruction/supervision, and carrying out of correct feeding procedures
• Ensuring safety and emergency procedures are observed at all times.
• Assisting with the movement and training of animals.
• Assisting during “Meet the Animals” sessions etc. as directed by senior staff.
• Maintaining a courteous and helpful relationship with visitors.
• Reporting defects and repairs required to the Animal Manager or senior staff.
• Assisting in various projects related to animal management as directed by senior animal management staff.
• Practical experience of animal management with a range of domestic and exotic species including primates. This is a “hands on role.”
• Broad taxonomic knowledge on a range of species managed within zoological collections.
• Willingness to develop and learn about the constantly evolving husbandry management within zoological collections.
• Positive re-enforcement training for behavioral management and enrichment procedures for each species.
• Knowledge of techniques used to handle specific animals for transporting or veterinary procedures
• Ability to demonstrate initiative and to be pro-active when performing tasks without being reminded.
• Keeper experiences, children’s birthday parties and continual engagement with our visitors in particular with younger children are an essential part of our business. You will need to be customer focused from the outset.
• A full clean (manual) driving license is required.
• Accommodation will not be provided on site.
• Public transport is possible to travel to the zoo.
• We do not hold telephone or Skype interviews. Interviews will be held at the Zoo.
Please email email@example.com. for an application form. Return the completed form your C.V and covering letter to the above email address.
Closing Date: Midnight Sunday 19th February 2017